Engineering Technician - Newport, RI
Qualified US Veterans preferred
Must have Secret Clearance
W2 - Full Time
US Citizens only
TMG, in support of Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC), Towed Array Handling Equipment Facility (TAHEF), is currently looking for a Engineering Technician to provide facility equipment calibration management, Hazardous Material (HazMat) inventory management and assist in maintaining the Technical Library by providing document design, integration, and technical support that will greatly enhance Government customer contracting practices/procedures.
The Technical Support Engineer shall be responsible for the maintenance of all facility calibration equipment, calibration maintenance and logs. Additional responsibilities include operating and maintaining the facilities HazMat inventory and all associated HazMat environmental safety requirements, as well as, maintaining the Technical Publications Library inventory, documentation, product releases, and configuration management items as related to documentation throughout its life cycle.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
- Identify / remove equipment as required for calibration, document/deliver to calibration lab.
- Maintain historical record of calibration certificates for proof of calibration and integrity
- Draft equipment calibration usage history reports
- Research, obtain quotes, and purchase calibration tools and equipment as required/directed
- Understand/use safety precautions and equipment usage/handling/de-energizing/de-pressurizing
- Maintain HazMat inventory: track quantities; expiration dates; projection of HazMat; order as appropriate
- Maintain authorized HazMat user listings
- Maintain Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) interpretation and accessibility
- Maintain NAVOSH environmental requirements
- Properly dispose of waste, waste oil, and materials IAW environmental requirements
- Maintain parts washer fluid as required
- Complete HazMat purchase request forms
- Maintain the Technical Publication Library both hard copy and digital form in support of overhaul and repair of the Towed Array Handling Equipment (TAHE) using standard configuration management library tools.
- Conduct analysis of upgrades and improvement for databases including/using Master Control, NSEDR as well as Allowance Parts List (APLs) database for parts validation and verification.
- Ensure all configuration documents, drawings, and procedures are correct and up-to-date for required equipment sent to the TAHE Facility by NAVSEA for overhaul and/or repair.
- Maintain the Ships Work List Item Number (SWLIN) database ensuring any TAHE specific equipment being sent to the DEPOT is logged and identified for restore or repair.
- Assist/Train Project Team members to gain and maintain application configuration management proficiency
- Participate in application configuration change board in accordance with the configuration management plan
- Technical writing: drafting new procedures and technical manuals, editing existing procedures/manuals
- Technical drawing: drafting new drawings and figures, editing and maintaining existing drawings
- Archive maintenance
- Must have a current and active “SECRET” security clearance
- Knowledge of engineering: Ability to interpret/understand/translate technical/engineering manifest and written documents
- Equipment calibration management
- Hazardous material management experience
- Professional experience in document control
- Consistent history (multiple years) with previous clients, preferably US federal agencies
- All other responsibilities as assigned.
- Exposure to Navy and DoD processes
- Understanding of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Understanding of HazMat labels and safety precautions associated
- Familiarity with researching various standards and specifications
- Proficient with a variety of hand and power tools
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro, other software, some specific to Navy
- Exposure to spill control prevention and management
- Understanding of technical writings and drawings
- Ability to prioritize assignments and multi-task under pressure
- Ability to recommend process and work flow improvements
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Calibration Maintenance
- Emergency Action Procedures
- Spill Control and Management
- Quality Control
- Document Control
Minimum 3 years experience in a technical, preferably military manufacturing or electronic, field.
Office duties may include sitting for prolonged periods of time, viewing digital screens for prolonged periods of time, lifting and moving heavy equipment, use of a desk or mobile phone, typing on a keyboard, writing with a pen, pencil, or stylus, etc.
May include written and oral communication and comprehension skills; data interpretation skills; analytical and problem-solving skills; basic mathematical reasoning; basic computer skills, and the ability to understand, remember, and carry out detailed instructions.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
TMG is a proud recipient of the prestigious award for ESGR – Employer Support of the Guard and Reserves – signed by the SECDEF. TMG is an equal opportunity employer.